Sunday, September 30, 2007

Computer troubles

For the past three weeks my computer has been having problems. The poor thing would not power up. It started to load Windows and then would shut down again. It would try again and then shut down again. I finally took it int to be looked at by a computer geek who has a small shop I pass on the way to work every morning. The guy was able to get it to boot up, run some diagnostics, correct a few errors but the sad news is that the hard drive is terminal.

Now I need to look into finding a new hard drive, backing up all the files I have on this one and hopefully not loose anything that cannot be replaced. My biggest concern was the photos I had not yet backed up. My computer geek backed up all photos for me so now I have them all backed up on one disk.

One thing I really want to remind everyone of is that you should back up your files as soon as possible.Most of mine were backed up by the year. I have a 1 gig memory card in my camera. Until recently (like the past three months) I never deleted pictures off that card. However, I started deleting them once I moved them onto my pc. Now I have a new personal policy, "Do not delete pictures off the memory card until you have copied the photos to a CD." I may attempt to keep them on shutterfly or some other host platform. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear the good the bad and the ugly regarding that type of host program.

I am very far behind on my posts. Apparently, I have been tagged by Lisa L. Unfortunately, I have not been able to answer the questions. We went to EdVenture last weekend with friends, and Emmie had her first soccer game yesterday.

I'll try to do my best to catch up provided my computer does not give up the ghost before I get a new hard drive.

No comments: