Wednesday, March 26, 2008

I'm going to be a Great-Grandma!

Yes, it's true. My 5 year old is going to be a Grandma. I am going to be a great- grandma. I cannot believe it is true but it looks as if the biggest guppy is going to have babies. LOL


I went into Emmies room to see if she fed the fish. The tank light was on and food was spilled on the night stand so I assumed she had. I watched them for a minute but couldn't see the bigger one. All I saw were the wee little baby ones. I started to take the tank cover off and then spotted the bigger one. I replaced the lid and checked the Mama fish out. She seemed to be bigger in the belly than she had the past three days. Then she swam away from me and I noticed that her...ahem...bottom was bright red. I concluded either Emmie was over feeding the fish or the bigger one was pregnant.


I called Laney the friend who gave Emmie the Guppies. I asked her if they get red on the bottom area before they give birth or if Emmie was over feeding. She said that it is a myth that you can over feed the fish. They will not over feed, but the food settles to the bottom and creates a toxic sludge that will kill the fish so we need to ensure we are changing the tank water often. Then she started laughing and said yes, she is probably pregnant! Those fish seem to always be pregnant! She respectfully asked if she needed to take it back and the answer was no. I knew that they breed alot when we accepted them. I knew we would eventually need to get a bigger tank for all of the fish Emmie ends up with. However, I do appreciate the offer. LOL Emmie then asked how the babies got in there. I just told her they are growing in the mommy's tummy and she said "oh". Didn't want to have that conversation with a 5 year old quite yet. I'm glad she accepted that as it was. Less is more right?


Anyway, I suppose being a great grandma is not so bad. I just hope the mommy doesn't eat all of the babies. Below is a drawing sort of like our guppies. They don't have the big fancy fan tails. Ours are also very young so they don't have the bright colors that guppies are famous for. I think I see some guppy breeding in our future. Who knows, maybe we can give Laney some guppies back with big bright tails. It was part number two that seems to be getting bigger on our Mama guppy.

Guppies anyone? I suspecvt we will have lots to share soon! Perhaps I'll start a fish tank at work and can send all of my coworkers home with little guppy babies. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your Great-Grandmahood!! You look so young. What is your beauty secret? LOL I always liked my aquarium but had to give it up because I was not very good at keeping my fishies alive. Good luck with the great grandchildren (and great-great grandchildren and the great-great-great...)
Becky R
Topeka
LID 01/11/06 referral soon!