Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Monday February 9, 2004

This was the day we signed the papers and EmmaLi officially became my daughter. Below is what I wrote home.
This morning we went to the civil affairs office. We signed all the paperwork and everything is final. My daughter is officially EmmaLi Janae Taghan.Once again I am in the business Center and my child has screamed enough that one of the two ladies working in here have taken to walking with her to keep her quiet. So far it is working but she does not take her eyes off me. It has been less than 24 hours but she knows who her mama is already. She knew in 20 minutes.

Starting with yesterday. We went into the office and one parent from every family had to sit down to sign paper work. I of course had to do it for my family. We were having a hard time focusing. We needed to get paper work done before the babies arrived and in the middle of it the nannies walked in with the babies and into a side room. It was pure craziness at that point. I couldn't get up to look for Emmie. Cecils wife came in and said she saw Emmie. I don't know how I thought of it but I said here take my digital camera and take a picture of her so I can see her. She did take the picture but she was in a crib and the picture was the top of her head. Finally we got the paper work completed and it was time. They called the families one by one and each family recieved their child. I of course, was the LAST family called. The nanny said it was because they saved the best for last. Personally I agree with them. I was surprised because the nanny practically shoved her in my arms. Not roughly but quickly and without hesitation. Emmie just looked at me. I was in tears at the airport on the way to Kunming, on the plane as we were landing, in the hotel as I was preparing the gifts, and on the bus traveling to the Civil Affairs office. I did not want to cry in front of her because I didn't want to frighten her. She and I looked about ther same. It was so funny according to one of the other adoptive mothers. She said we both looked like we were about to loose it. I sit here and have the same thing happening as I type this for the first time. Emmie did cry but it lasted only about a minute each time. The first time I feed her Cheerios and it apeased her. The second time I put her down and let her walk holding my fingers. She does not walk on her own yet. She does crawl some on the bed to get toys she has thrown out of reach. The last time was when I was in line to pay the notary for the days services. Collette, the cousin of an adoptive mother traveling with them, offered to hold her for me while I paid, gave gifts, and handed over my paper work. She went to her just fine but within30 seconds she was crying and leaning toward me like she already knew I was her mama. Once that was completed it was a very hectic day. We went back to the hotel and I changed her diaper, she was soaked. When I put a new one on her, I realized the diapers I brought are too big. A group was going to the department store next door so we went with them and bought the right size diapers and bottled water. I had her in the snuggly and she fell asleep. Then we went to KFC and got a quick bite to eat. We did not have time for much else, we had to do more paper work with our guide at 8:30 and it was 10 minutes to 8:00pm. So we went back to the room and had fries and chicken.We made it to the paper work meeting on time. Finished that at 9:30. By the time I went to the lobby to find the business center and got there, I had only a short amount of time to write. That was our first day together. Our first night seemed to go okay at the beginning. I put her in her crib and she tossed and turned a while but then fell asleep around 11:00pm. At 12:00am I was woken by a very frustrated and unconsolable little girl. I rocked her and she would calm down a little by sucking her thumb and first finger on her right hand. Then I tried laying her back in the crib and she screamed again. I made her a bottle and she wouldn't take it. After about 45 minutes I sat her on the bed and tried feeding her Cheerios. She shook her head no and threw herself face first on the bed and was asleep in about 5 seconds. I left her there and had to sleep across the bed instead of the right way. Fortunately, it was a king size bed. She sleep restlessly all night but did sleep all night. I woke up at3:30am and could not go back to sleep. I started unpacking some of the bags which I had not had time to do up until that point. I took my shower and blew dry my hair and she slept through it all. Finally at 6:30am I woke her up, got her dressed (in size 6 to 9 month clothes which fit perfectly), and we went to breakfast. We were the first to the breakfast buffet but it's okay because I had time to feed us both where as the others that arrived 30 minutes later, did not. I was a bit concerned because I had made bottles for her four times and all she would do is chew on the nipple and would not drink anything. I tried a sippy cup and she wanted nothing to do with it. Today, at lunch, I was able to get some water in her by feeding it to her on a spoon! She would try drinking from a glass but it would just run down the front of her. She is eating fine. She had rice, pork, and beef for lunch at the Thai restaurant in the hotel today.

I cannot believe this little girl is now really mine. When we got back to the hotel, I asked our guide "So does this me she mine now?" She laughed and said "For better or for worse, she is now and forever your daugher." This afternoon is free time and we have nothing scheduled. She is asleep in the arms of the Business Center workers as we speak. After her nap, I may try to find some Chinese bottles and see if that will help get her to drink her formula. If not, I guess she'll be drinking from a spoon.Tomorrow we are going to Wal-Mart to shop for shoes! She came with a really cute pair of leather shoes. They are black and white with a kitty face stitched on them but they don't go with any of her outfits, so I will get some new ones.She is a big flirt too. She loves the men. She had them all smiling as we were doing paper work last night and she is still flirting with them today.She has stolen the hearts of everyone in the group! All of the babies are very different today than they were yesterday. They all heard Emmie bellylaugh and giggle today at the Civil Affairs office. She was laying on her belly on a big conference table. I had her hands and pushed her to the otherside then pulled her towards me. She started giggling and belly laughing and the whole place was laughing with her. I definately have a comedian on my hands. More later, I need to get this child to the room for a proper nap.
Love to all,Kim and Emmie Taghan
As I read that today, it seems that I got a few things out of order. When I asked our guide if EmmaLi was now my daughter, it was when we finished our paper work and had just boarded the bus to go back to the hotel on Monday. It was an amazingly hectic and exciting day for us.

The babies are here!!!!


The first picture of EmmaLi!


Peeking over the top of the playpen!
EmmaLi and Abby on Adoption Day.
Adoption Day night her first Pizza Hut!

No comments: