Wednesday, February 4, 2009

What was I doing 5 years ago today?

I'll tell you what I was doing. At this exact time I was on an airplane on my way to California to catch a red eye flight to Guangzhou China in order to catch another connecting flight to Beijing. In honor of the 5 year anniversary of having the priveledge of being EmmaLi's mom I am going to post the the emails and comments of our journey. At 3:40 am I made the first post of the day. Below is what I wrote:

Okay, I am out of here. I flight departs for LA in 3 hours and 14minutes.My bags are packed, the house is clean, I have all the shopping listsand phone numbers ready for my parents sitting on the counter top.I will post later today when I get to California. I am giving my aunt a little training class on internet usage and signing her up for the group. I will also post from the business center in the Sino Swiss on Friday. For those unaware of the time difference, it should be in the middle of the night for you all here. I am remarkably calm this morning. My worst fear about the trip is that Greg my ride to the airport will forget to pick me up. He has to be at work at 5:00am so I know where to find him in plenty of time to catch the plane.I still need to check the weather in Beijing and Kunming but am headed back home to fix a little breakfast I think. The perishable food supply is thin right now. There are two eggs left in the fridge,and no milk so I suppose it will be eggs, fried potatos (there are a few of those too) and the breakfast drink of champions (I could almost use a cup Joe the strength Jana is known for making) since there is no juice, milk or tea made. It should be the start of an exhausting journey so we must start the day with a hearty meal!

I think my aunt and I will be having lunch at one of my favorite places in CA called Vince's Spaghetti. They serve spaghetti and that is about it. Maybe a salad and garlic bread but it is all spaghetti with your choice of meat sauce, no meat sauce and meat balls...and they are packed all the time. I thought it was crazy when I first went there but it is very good.

My friend Lisa H sucked me into another bet last night. She seems to think I will get EmmaLi on Sunday instead of Monday. Apparently, we have dinner riding on this one. We'll see who ends up paying. The last bet we had was whether I would travel between the New Years and she lost! It was one I wish I had lost. My luck on the bets at that time had not been going well. I thought for sure I would loose and was hoping to actually. Oh well, now is the time and it just doesn't seem real. Thanks everyone for the prayers and thoughts and I will chat with you all later...

Kim T.

Here are some of the posts my my friends and family who were there to support me during my wait.

From Lisa H: Kimmie,Callie and I are wishing you an experience of a lifetime! And, wishing Callieand I were packed in your luggage, no such luck though!!Our thoughts and prayers will be with you your whole trip. All will be well andyou will be blessed beyond belief!!I love ya girl!!Lisa

From Chris S: Kim,I just wanted to let you know that I've been thinking of you a lotlately. Like Lisa H. said, I wish I was in your suitcase right now.China was incredible and it was a trip of a lifetime in so many ways.Tip, take pictures of every-day things. Of grocery stores, streetvendors, school children, etc. I wish I had done more of that.Don't be afraid to get out and walk amongst the people. They arewonderful. Smile even if they don't smile back. Say Ni Hao even ifthey look at you like you have 3 heads (Eric was very good at this).Save most of your shopping for Guangzhou (except specific localitems). Shoes, clothes, chops, scrolls -- all that is much lessexpensive there.Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. I pray for a safe trip for you and can't waitto hear about your little sweet pea.Love,Chris Stephan

From Margie: Kim,

I too hope you have a very wonderful trip! I have some friends here in Lindale that are leaving Friday to get their second daughter. She is Lijiang in the Yunnan province. You might just see them there! They are Jason and Kathy Beard. Their daughter is with them. She is 6 years old. Her name is Kayla. She is in first grade and has the same teacher that Katelyn had last year! They are a super sweet family. Jason is a veterinarian here in Lindale.

Give that little lots of kisses from all her aunties out here!!!! I'm sure that won't be hard to do!

Love ya girl,

From Cynthia: Well, I posted a few minutes ago and for some reason it didn't gothrough! I am just not getting a chance to post on your group, thisis where everybody has been! I don't know hardly anyone on the DECgroup anymore!!! Anyway, Kim I just wanted say I am so happy for youand want to wish the best as you travel on your journey! You are justgoing to have the most wonderful time! Don't have time to write allI wrote before but just know you will be in our thoughts and prayersand that we will be praying for God's protection and blessings overyour entire journey! You will love Emmali the Instant she is put inyour arms and there will be no difference in how you feel about herthan if you had birthed her, I can attest to that! It is such anawesome picture of God's love for us as His adopted children, hetruly does love us as much as his son! Enjoy and Have a wonderfultime, I can't wait to hear of your first sight of Emmali, I wish Icould be there to see the two of you!Much love, Cynthia

Then I landed in CA and posted this:

Well, I made it to CA and didn't have much turbulence along the way.I was able to sleep on both planes as the seat next to me on bothwere empty.The day started out kind of ichy but I won't go into that right now.Let's just say Delta and fixing ticketing problems are four letterwords to me right now.So far we are on track to leave on time tonight. We (my aunt, cousinsand who ever else comes along) are going to dinner at 6:00pm and thenoff to the airport. I will say that I had to finagle some stuffaround in my suitcase as I paid a nice $25.00 fee for being 14 poundsover weight for my check in bag.I'll let you all know when I get to Beijing. CA weather is beautifultoday. No jacket required ... yet.Keep thinking those good thoughts and prayers. I need them all.Mom...Check your email and see if you got an email from Aunt Bert.Kim T.

From Chrissy: Kim,

I was thinking of you often today. Glad your flight to CA was good. I will be awaiting your e-mail from China.
Love,

From Mary Ellen (who was supposed to go with me) Hey Kim,
Glad you made it safely to CA
I am finally on "the group" !!! So happy to be here. Love to you and Emmie, can't wait to meet her. I have a lil pail and shovel for the beach (already)
Best wishes, my friend :)
M.E.

During the trip to To Beijing Thursday Feb 5th disappeared. I left on Weds and arrived in Beijing on Friday.

Next post....Friday Feb 5th Arrive in Beijing!

No comments: